Saturday, September 29, 2007

God says, “Feed the hungry and help others in need.” How I do I know they are using the money I give to help their need?

Sarah in Tally,

I summarized your question; hopefully the intent is still present in the revision. Anyway, there are many verses in the New Testament about helping those in need. Here are a few:

“Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.” Acts 10:4b

"For Macedonia and Achaia were pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem." Romans 15:26

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35

In your situation you gave money to someone who “claimed” to be in need. Typically it’s NOT good to give money to the individual because it allows them to decide how the money is spent. When someone has a chemical dependency they will spend the money to feed their addiction, and in essence, you are aiding in that process. If someone is hungry, give them food, NOT money to buy food. If someone is cold, give them clothes, NOT money to buy clothes.

If you really want to make monetary donations to those in need I would recommend doing that through an organization you trust, or only give money to those who you know will spend it on the right things.

No comments: