Sunday, September 30, 2007

Should you always pray before you go to bed?

Dear Evelyn:

Prayer is our communication method of talking with God. As I reflect on my personal relationship with my wife and kiddies, I know that I continually strive to spend QUALITY time with them so that we have a vibrant and ongoing personal relationship. And, so it is with God. Prayer is our method of talking with God and communing with Him in a personal way. In the same way that we pray, we should also listen back to see what God is speaking to us. Remember always that a relationship is based on at least two persons and that makes for two-way communication (speaking and listening).

Now, should we always pray before bedtime? The apostles and the patriarchs didn’t only pray at bedtime, they prayed all the time. Paul the apostle commands all believers to “pray continually” in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:17). So then, prayer is simple communing with God because we want to have and keep a vibrant and ongoing personal relationship with our Father in heaven.

As an example of praying in different circumstances, the Old Testament leader Nehemiah prayed all the time. In one instance, he was in the presence of the king and as he was about to speak to the king, he prayed (most likely quietly and to himself) to God.

I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, " Why should my face not look sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?" The king said to me, "What is it you want?" Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, "If it pleases the king… let him send me to the city in Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it." 2 Nehemiah 2:2ff

Now the good part: God answers our prayers. For Nehemiah, he was granted permission to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls. But please understand that sometimes we may not always get what we want, but remember that God allows us what we need. Blessings to you Evelyn. Keep praying always, and I'll pray along with you. Dean.

No comments: