Saturday, September 29, 2007

How are we supposed to worship God in all that we do when most of the things we do fall apart?

Hey Jaime...

You have asked a great question. Because of how the question is worded, it can be taken two ways. I'm not sure if you mean, "How can I worship God if nothing turns out right-can that be honoring to God?" Or, "How am I supposed to worship God when my life is a mess"? I'll try to answer both and be brief.

We were never promised that life would be easy.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (Jesus) John 16:33

In terms of the words, “falls apart”, it’s important we separate our aspirations, pains and failures from the idea that somehow everything must be perfect to glorify God. We may have break ups, bad job interviews, backstabbing friends and all around bad days, but it’s what we choose to do with those situations that glorify God. Jesus just told us in John 16:33 (above) we would have trouble…trouble comes in various forms.

Check this out:

“Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 2:3

Strong words. Truthfully, it paints a tough picture. As a Christian, we are in a very real spiritual war. The analogy is clear: we are soldiers. We serve our King. We endure tough times. Can God get glory from our lives when they are so imperfect? Yes. If we honor God with our hearts and minds even in difficult times, God is glorified.

Here’s how we glorify God in tough times:

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31

“ I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14

Focus on one thing: glorifying God with your life. There will be bumps in the road, sometimes too many to count, but God is faithful. Choose to focus on glorifying God in every aspect of your life; even in difficult times.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

No comments: