Thursday, September 27, 2007

If I'm a Christian, and perfect love casts out fear, then why am I so afraid of people, and life?

Hey Christian, this John Lee and I want to say thanks for submitting your question. I want to be honest with you, we all can become fearful of people and life in general; it is not uncommon. However, God does have some things to say that will be helpful and encouraging. It is so easy to become fearful in today’s society because there is so much to be afraid of and even as a Christian we can become fearful of so many things, but let’s listen to what God says:

Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 49:5 Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me.

Even though there are plenty of things to be fearful of, God wants us to do the opposite-trust! When you trust someone you will never be afraid. When you trust someone it gives you strength and courage. God wants us to trust in Him.

Proverbs 3:5, 6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Jeremiah 17:7-8

“But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”

You see when we don’t trust someone, when we don’t trust God; we become fearful. God’s perfect love does cast out fear but you have to put your trust in the one who is able to cast it out. It is a daily thing that you must do, and as you discipline yourself your heart will be able to say:

Psalm 18:1-2 I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

No comments: